Posted in Music, tagged best of, Best of 2009, Chiddy Bang, David Guetta, DDL Roundhouse, God Help the Girl, green day, Hip-Hop, Imogen Heap, Kid Cudi, La Roux, LBCK, mae, Mash-Up, mos def, Music, Phoenix, pop, quiet company, Regina Spektor, Remix, rock, Sufjan Stevens, The Antlers, the decemberists, The Hood Internet, wale on December 25, 2009|
Leave a Comment »
Wow…has it really been 3 years? Where’d all the time go?
Well…each year, this post has gotten less and less ambitious, but even with my blog being dead for a few months, I can’t resist doing this.
So here it is. The top 15 albums of 2009, along with single download links and links to where you can buy each record.
One thing that I’m adding this year is the “specialty” selections: Best Remix, Best Mash-Up, Best Sample, Best E.P., and Best Collaboration.
This should be an exciting one!
Read Full Post »
Posted in Music, tagged 2007, best of, Entertainment, Mp3 on December 29, 2007|
19 Comments »
Hey Fahim, is that you striking that suave pose? I think that girl on the right’s checkin’ you out! But seriously, he does look eerily similar to the jr. high you…right down to the nerdy clothes…HA!
Yes, that’s right. It’s time to put on those dancing shoes because we’re ready to announce Michael’s Top Albums of 2007!
Since you guys are all excited, I’ll try to hurry up and introduce the list. I set out trying to compile a simple top 10 list. So I decided to first amass a large base of albums to choose from. Then I couldn’t decide which ones to cut, so I just decided to make a list with however many albums I had. I put them all in a certain order and was painstakingly comparing, re-listening, re-ordering, and re-ordering again for an hour or two. Then I just stopped because I realized that there was no way I was going to spend any more time and energy on a list that only 4 people will read. So here’s the best list ever of the top 28 albums of 2007. (I hope no one else has made a “top 28″list. If so, I’m not sure if this will be “The Best” anymore.) Some album descriptions will be one sentence, others may be up to two paragraphs, and, in some descriptions, I may not even talk about the album. I’m not sure, we’ll see how it goes. But ALL will have one or two carefully selected sample songs to whet your appetite. I can wholeheartedly recommend all of these albums as “sound” investments (by the way, that is a clever, wit-tastic pun. I put quotation marks just in case anyone might miss it), so go buy them, or hear them in concert, or something. I hope you enjoy the list.
(Click on the artist/album name to go to the Amazon page where you can check out or buy the album. I get absolutely no compensation for it. I probably should though…)
Read Full Post »
Posted in Random, TV/Entertainment, tagged 2007, aladdin, androgynous, best of, birds dancing, Blood, mental breakdown, paul brogan, Sports, stress, wedding, youtube on December 20, 2007|
3 Comments »
In the spirit of retrospective looks back on the year, here are some memorable youtube videos I came across this year. And because of my very spotty memory, by “this year” I mostly mean “whatever I remember from the last 4 months or so.” Without further ado, I bring to you my top 6 personal youtube favorites of 2007! In random order! Woooooo! I…don’t know what we’re yelling about! Loud Noises!!
1) You think your wedding day was/will be stressful? Watch this and count your blessings:
2) You think you know what “androgynous” means? Give it some more thought after watching this (you have to watch at least to the 1 minute mark):
3) I never knew birds had such rhythm. Perfectly synchronized foot/leg swinging and stomping. This bird is a natural. His/Her infectious dancing spreads in a matter of seconds to the bird at the left of the screen in the background.
4) Ever wonder why some white chicks (or any young girl…or guy) flash up gang signs whenever a camera is within sight? This next guy pondered that same question — and wrote a song about it. (oh…watch for the coffee mug. it basically pushes the video to awesomeness level.)
5) I love nerds who love sports. (So yes, I love myself.) Paul Brogan artfully remixes Fergilicious, Mims’ “This Is Why I’m Hot,” and Nelly Furtado to make some great comments on the state of the NBA.
6) This next video is one I used to watch at least once everyday to make me smile. Now I watch it every week. At least. “Baby juggah” “Blood-duh” “Not funny!”
I know I’m forgetting at least 17 other ones. So if you happen to know any more, please let me know. I cannot let the year wind down without giving those other videos some recognition.
Songs of the Day (follow links to download page):
Spoon – “I Turn My Camera On”
Okkervil River – “Our Life Is Not a Movie or Maybe”
Read Full Post »